Healthy Refreshing Fare for a Hot End-of-Summer Evening
Here in the Silicon Valley and San Mateo County we get some of our warmest days and evenings in September. Many of us (not just those of us in the real estate industry) have crazy, busy schedules that sabotage healthy eating habits.
This Gazpacho Soup is a delicious alternative to grabbing fast food. With a little planning ahead, it is ready to be enjoyed when you arrive home, frazzled after a busy day. I like to make this in the morning, then it chills all day while I work. Remember to chill the bowls, too. Add some fresh fruit and crusty French bread and you have a meal to enjoy on the patio or deck on a warm summer evening.
- 4 cups tomato juice (I sometimes use V-8)
- 2 beef bouillon cubes (or 2 tsp. granules)
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped, unpeeled cucumbers (peel 'em if waxed)
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. salad oil (1 use only 1 Tbs.)
- 1/2 tsp. sale
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 6 drops Tabasco sauce (more or less, depending on tastes)
Top with a dollop of non-fat plain yogurt if desired.