Home Maintenance Reminders for Homeowners
Whether you've just bought that first house, or have been a homeowner for many years, there are some household tasks that shouldn't be overlooked just because they aren't urgent.
We've seen squirrels actively preparing for winter, and now that we've had our first chilly days here in San Mateo County and the Silicon Valley, it's time for us to do to same.
Here's a list of some important tasks that shouldn't be overlooked:
- change batteries in all smoke detectors
- put fresh batteries in your flashlights
- change/wash all filters -- aerators on faucets, kitchen fan filters,
furnace filters (check furnace filters monthly during heating season)
- inspect your household emergency kit (you do have one, right?) and refresh the supplies -- don't forget pet and baby supplies, too, as well as medicine)
- inspect your garage door -- tighten nuts that might have worked loose, make certain the automatic sensors are positioned and work properly
- clear leaves and debris from gutters
- check downspouts to be certain they aren't clogged, and water can flow freely away from the house
- inspect your fireplace and have your chimney cleaned if you use a wood-burning stove
- check for needed touch ups to caulking on exterior siding and around bathtubs inside
- have your furnace checked and serviced
- walk around your home, checking for and removing overgrown shrubs, tree limbs touching the roof, etc.
After attending to tasks like these, you can sit back and enjoy the chilly evenings and our occasional rain storm, knowing your home is, indeed, a haven.