It's Garage Sale Season in San Mateo County
Now that school is back in session and summer vacations have winded down, it's garage sale season. Garage sales can be a great way to clean out some of the clutter and unneeded items that take up precious space, and others can put these items to good use.
If you haven't hosted such a sale before, here are some tips to help you have a successful sale:
- advertise-many people use Craig's List; some online and print papers offer free or low cost ads; your municipality might allow signs to be posted
- invite a friend or neighbor to join you-you can help each other and have fun, too
- have a good supply of change for shoppers
- have a supply of bags, boxes, newspaper handy so you can bag up purchases
- think safety-don't allow strangers into your home; keep pets away; consider getting a sitter for small children, or have them visit a friend
- price realistically-a good rule of thumb is to price items 1/3 or less of what items were when new. (a garage sale isn't the right venue for antiques, heirlooms and expensive items-your goal is to rid yourself of unwanted items)
- mark prices on your items in advance
- if you have giveaway items, place them off to one side, with a FREE sign clearly visible
- keep your money on you--a waist pack or zippered pouch can be helpful. As money accumulates, take excess to a safe place away from all visitors
- know where ATM machines are--most likely you don't want to take personal checks from strangers
- When the sale is over, remove any signs you've posted. And you might follow up by taking any leftovers to a donation center
Do your preparations, then relax and enjoy your day.