Peggy Hughes, organizer and moving specialist extraordinaire, has shared some great information to make your move go more smoothly. And if you are simply too busy to handle all the details yourself, give Peggy a call and see if she can be of help.
Properly Packing a Box
Back in 2010 I did a series of Tips for How to Have a Stress Free Move
Part of that series was a post on how to properly pack a box. Since I’m still seeing TV shows showing people declutter, move into new homes or pack up to get their home ready for sale, and none of those folks are packing the boxes correctly, I thought it might be time to revisit the basics.
Use the right size box for the job! I cringe every time I see heavy books being placed in a medium sized box… these boxes were not designed to hold the weight that books generate. Also, you will place too many books in a medium size box making it very difficult to carry. Here are this Professional Moving Organizer’s easy tips for using the right packing box for the job.
· Heavy items – small boxes, books, records, cds etc.
· Fragile items – small boxes with lots of “crush” (unprinted newspaper crushed to protect contents)
Dishes/stemware – double walled cardboard… heavy items on the bottom, lighter items packed on top plus lots of crush on bottom, in middle and on top.
· Clothing – wardrobe boxes so clothes can stay on hangers
· Shoes/handbags/bedding/linens/towels, etc. – medium to large boxes
· Lampshades – try to keep all shades in one box and write “top load” so nothing heavy gets placed on top of this lightweight box during transport.
Don’t forget, PHA is running a special through February 14th… mention this blog post and you can receive 10% off a four-hour packing or organizing session!
Hope to hear from you soon… PHA
Happy Packing and Organizing!!
All content and photos (unless otherwise noted) are the property of PHA/Peggy Hughes Associates
If you or someone you know wants to be MOVED the Right Way, Don't forget to call PHA!
Organizing Moving Relocation
415.846.0569 310.497.6916 917.771.2276
from boxes to dinner parties in 48 hours!! PHA wants you to be MOVED....