FAQ: Should I remodel or should I move?
It's a question I often hear, and my answer is ...... it depends!
How does one know whether it is wiser to embark on a major remodel or to sell one’s existing house and buy another? Questions to be answered include:
- Do I like living in this neighborhood/town/area?
- Do I foresee it meeting my needs for a number of years?
- Is the location of the house itself suitable? (e.g. busyness of the street? size of the lot?)
- How extensive is my proposed project? Where will I live during the process? What is my tolerance threshold to disruption?
- Will the remodel I’m considering keep (or bring) the house in line with neighboring properties, without over improving it?
- How important to me is resale value?
- What other options might my housing dollar buy?
To help you answer some of these questions, you might wish to obtain a market analysis of your home’s current value, and also an analysis of resale value of your proposed remodel/addition.
This is a service I provide at no cost to potential sellers in my area. I’m happy to help, so feel free to contact me—no obligation or pressure.