FAQ: What do I need to do to sell my Silicon Valley home?
Since most people only sell a home 2 or 3 times in their life, they are full of questions and don't understand much about the process and decisions that need to be made. Since real estate is practiced differently in different areas, even within the State of California, I developed my:
Typical Marking Plan for
Residential Single-family homes
We are committed to providing quality service to all of our clients. To ensure that your property is marketed to an optimum level and receives high market exposure and value, the following services will be performed:
1. Agree with seller on preliminary listing price, terms and financing. Sign listing agreement, excluding home from the multiple listing service until home is ready to be marketed in its best possible condition.
2. Determine which fixtures (chandeliers, large mirrors, large planter boxes, etc.,) if any, will not stay with the house.
3. Open escrow; order preliminary title report, environmental, geologic and tax reports. Review and discuss reports with sellers.
4. Hire and meet vendor to draw up floor plan of house.
5. Assist seller in completing various disclosure and other forms.
6. Schedule pest inspection, home inspection, and any additional inspections as might be advisable, including initial meeting with staging firm, if any. Attend those inspections.
7. Schedule any necessary and agreed upon repairs and updating. Begin blog posts focusing on various aspects of the property.
8. Announce the upcoming listing to office and other real estate agent contacts. Begin a “coming soon” phone and e-mail campaign to colleagues and other contacts.
9. Hire professional photographer to take exterior and interior shots of the property. Begin ad copy, photo flyers, etc., and review such with seller.
10. Arrange advertising, both print and internet. Send mailings to neighborhood, clients, colleagues and other business contacts. Set up web site unique to this property, with its own web address. Prepare electronic marketing pieces. Order virtual tour.
11. Submit listing to Multiple Listing Service. Install sign and keysafe. Schedule and host brokers’ tour and open houses.
12. Listing, photos, and virtual tour to appear on numerous real estate web sites and blog sites.
13. Follow up on open house interest and leads; call all agents who have shown the property; plan second weekend of open houses.
14. Communicate with seller in predetermined manner, giving a status reports of all activity.
15. Review pricing and create new marketing plan based on a 21-day cycle plan.
As you can see, selling a property in San Mateo County and the Silicon Valley can be quite complex, with numerous steps to the process. Make sure you have the proper Realtor® on your side to guide you through the steps, communicate clearly with you, and to implement a well planned marketing strategy.