Holiday crime prevention tips, courtesy of the San Mateo County, CA, Sheriff's Office
Black Friday kicks off the shopping season, and finds many people at the malls and loading up the car with purchases. The San Mateo County sheriff's office sent out a timely non-emergency alert to those signed up to receive such. In the alert they reminded us of safety precautions, including:
- keep purchases and packages out of plain sight when shopping--the trunk of the car is the best spot
- not to carry large amounts of cash
- don't allow delivery services to leave ordered merchandise visible on your front porch at home
- avoid have large display of gifts visible from the street
And one to which I might not have given much thought:
- don't pile up empty gift boxes from your new, expensive electronics on the street for trash pick up. You're advertising to a burglar what's in your home!
Enjoy your holidays, be safe, and if you live in California in San Mateo County, you might wish to register on the San Mateo County Alert System.